Wednesday, March 23, 2016

2015-16 #4) Bonus Thing: Make Connections!


When I saw this lesson added I got pretty excited and jumped all over it!  One of the things I reflected on last year, after participating in the Cool Tools for the first time, was that I wish that somewhere built into the process was a way to have more interaction with the other participants.  There were a few teachers doing it within my district, but other than conversations with them, I had no idea what anyone else was doing.  I didn’t have an answer for how that would look exactly, but it was my thought/suggestion nonetheless.  I know that I could have taken the time to find blogs of other participants, and read through them all, but to be honest, even with the best of intentions, I just never found the time to do so.  Fast forward to this year, my second year participating, and this bonus lesson!  What a great way to encourage us to find the time! 
I had to slightly alter the directions of this lesson since not all of the 3 people after me in the list had any posts other than the first blogging post, and that wasn’t something I wanted to comment on – I wanted to see more of the creative things people were learning and doing!  I wanted to read blogs that had more to read!  I also wanted to find 3 that I had something constructive to offer, rather than just post to post, so I hope this is OK!
So even though I read through about five to six of the blogs after me, the 3 that I chose to comment on were Barbara Mierlak, Cathie Morton, and Lindsey Murphy.  I read through all of their posts, but the ones I commented on are linked below.
I really enjoyed this and was very glad to have this opportunity to see what others are learning about!  I got some more ideas to investigate for myself!  One of the things I learned about was quad blogging – where you get your classroom matched up with others who are blogging so that the students get people coming to their blogs, reading and posting!  If you don’t have that, blogging tends to get very boring very quickly with students, so I think this is just fantastic and can’t wait to share with some colleagues!  We are always struggling with getting traffic onto our students’ blogs, and it often ends up being adults, so it would be great for kids to have other kids interacting with them! 
Great lesson!  Thank you! 

1 comment:

  1. Cool! So glad you went ahead and made this lesson into what worked for you. That's terrific. And quad-blogging -of course, that must have been hiding somewhere in the back of my head to inspire this lesson. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete